On the Greta Van Susteren show of 3/24/2011, Newt Gingrich said, and I paraphrase:
- President Obama has essentially committed us to taking Gadaffi out. Anything less will be perceived as failure.
- The United States doesn’t have the resources to take on every situation in every country. We really should have stayed out.
- It’s almost meaningless to “turn over” leadership of the action to NATO. We project most of the force employed there.
- Obama doesn’t want America perceived to be in charge, fearing Arab World reaction.
- The drug cartel in Mexico is a far greater threat (Newt said 1000 times) to America than Libya is. We should be deploying resources there.
- Obama has said the Pentagon has to pay for the action in Libya. He won’t ask Congress to appropriate it. The military doesn’t have the budget.
I have to admit I agree with all of that, and wish I had figured it out for myself.